Selby Avenue Syncopaters
The Selby Avenue Syncopaters perform early jazz and blues known as Dixieland, hot, and traditional jazz from many eras--ragtime to World War I to Prohibition to the Great Depression to World War II and into the middle of the 20th century. Enjoy the music of the Original Dixieland Jazz Band, the New Orleans Rhythm Kings, Jelly Roll Morton, King Oliver, Spencer Williams, W. C. Handy, Ma Rainey, the Louisiana Five, Kid Ory, Duke Ellington, Zep Meissner, Jimmy McPartland, and many more. The group includes vocals, clarinet/tenor sax, trumpet, trombone, tuba, banjo, and drums.
Whenever you need to tap your toes or dance with your whole body, just listen to this band play. And, if you ask, we'll share what we know about the jazziest music from the first half of the 20th century.
Here are some samples of our music:
- After You've Gone.mp3 (Creamer & Layton 1918)
- Bluin' the Blues.mp3 (Original Dixieland Jazz Band 1918)
- Grandpa's Spells.mp3 (Jelly Roll Morton 1923)
- Livery Stable Blues.mp3 (Original Dixieland Jazz Band 1917)
- Oh, Didn't He Ramble.mp3 (Johnson & Cole 1902)
- Shim-Me-Sha-Wabble.mp3 (Spencer Wiliams 1916)
For upcoming events, see our schedule on Facebook!